Tina - Lafayette, California

Too Much or Not Enough

There are moments in life when a question comes to you and for some reason no matter how many hours you toil over the same one, you can never quite find the answer. The question that came to my mind was, “Would I rather have too much of something or too little?” Now there are several flaws within this one question but overall, which one is better? I asked several people throughout the week hoping to find a response that would fit what I was looking for, but no matter how many times I asked, I was never satisfied. In the long run, is better to have too little and never be satisfied or too much and never truly learn to appreciate?

One the one hand the saying goes less is more. When one has too much of a good thing it is easy to be cocky and arrogant; it is easy to forget to be humble. The good things in small doses mean something more to the person with little means than the person who always has everything. A whole entire Belgian Chocolate Cake to someone who has it every weekend can go unnoticed while it can mean the world to someone who rarely sees Belgian Chocolate and cake, let alone the two together; each taste is savored and the fork licked clean. As for the negative aspect, a question occurred to me, “What if there is too little love?” The response I received was, “It is better to have too little love than too much hate.” So is the saying true, is it really the small things that count?

On the flip side, more means satisfaction. Too little of something good can generate feelings of angst and an overpowering sense of something always lacking. Resentment can consume a person and lead to worse things than being spoiled. In today’s world to be over the top is the only way to achieve success; you have to be the best to get to the top and the best never hold back Rather than being bitter about never having enough, the people that have can look towards using their surplus to provide. Bill Gates could swim in all his money and risk drowning if he wanted to, but he utilizes what some could say he has too much of and turns it around to help the causes that matter; he is one of the richest men in the world but he is also one of the biggest humanitarians. There is no such thing as too much love or too much generosity.

In the end, I was left with a draw. It took a week and the completion of this paper to understand. I believe that life will always be hard and that too much is never enough and too little will never do. I believe that being happy with what you got is the only thing you can do, fight to achieve greatness, but never loose sight of what you have.