Ashley - North Little Rock, Arkansas

“This I Believe:

Today’s generation is Tomorrow’s Future”

By Ashley Robinson

As I look around, all I see is segregation. People as, “50 years later and we are still the same?” No, we are not the same. We do not rule on hatred. Today I, as an African American can sit by a Caucasian student and not be ridiculed and violated by racial slurs. Instead, I may be welcomed with a “Hello” or “How are you?” How ever sometimes, I feel like things are still the same.

The truth is, here in the south, we are still segregated. Whites sit by whites, and blacks sit by blacks. If it weren’t for the teachers putting us into alphabetical order, we would be separated. I always ask myself, “Why don’t they give me a chance?” and see that many black people aren’t hard workers and strive to do the best in class. I’ve always wanted to be the best. I am practically a straight “A” student, and I never settle for the less-only the best. Someday I want to become a pediatrician.

As I walk down the hallways at my school, all I ever see I white groups, black groups, even Latino groups. No one ever takes time to openly one another, to say “I want to be different, and it’s okay to step outside of my comfort boundaries.” Mix it up day is a day at our school for students to come together, desegregate, and meet new people, possibly, a new friend. People treated it as a joke; they didn’t mix it up, and those that tried it did it so jokingly.

Some students actually try to come together as one. My question is what will happen to us if we don’t try to come together? I’m afraid that the answer is hatred. Human beings deserved to be treated as human beings. It hurts me to see that we can’t stand together as one.

Parents, it is not only the young people’s job to keep society desegregated, but it is yours also. Parents! Encourage us! Show us that joining together is fun and interesting. Parents guide us, show us that it’s okay to sit down or converse with someone different from ourselves. If you demonstrate, we will learn too! If families would talk about this maybe we could do better. I think if we could come together, not only will our friendship grow stronger, but our values will too!

God made us all unique, but we are all his children. Not one of us is more superior to another; we are all equal, and we should start acting like it. How can we be the United States is we aren’t united? So next time you’re in a crowd, a group, a school, an event, grab an unfamiliar hand, your brother, your sister, your neighbor’s hand. Greet them as if they were your family and treat them as you would want to be treated. “Our future may depend upon it. “This I believe”