Erica - Petoskey, Michigan
Themes: environment

Global warming isn’t an opinion. It’s a scientific reality, and science tells us that human activity has had an enormous impact on our planet that affects our well-being and even our survival as a species. Cutting edge science tells us that glaciers are melting at an alarming rate, atmospheric greenhouse gases have reached levels not seen for millions of years, and that species are vanishing as a result of climate change. Scientist’s report extreme weather events, long-term droughts, and rising sea levels.

Human activities are adding an alarming amount of pollution to the earth’s atmosphere causing catastrophic shifts in weather patterns. These shifts are causing severe heat, floods, and worse. The United States, with only four percent of the world’s population, is responsible for 22% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions. Not only is this affecting our climate, but doctors at the Harvard Medical School have linked recent U.S. outbreaks of diseases directly to climate change.

Fortunately, the scientists also tell us how we can begin to make significant repairs to try and reverse these impacts, but only through immediate action. By spreading the word, our collective power will force governments, corporations, and politicians everywhere to pay attention.

Ever wonder what you can do? Here are a few simple changes you can make to help us have a brighter future; Use Compact Fluorescent Bulbs, run your dishwasher only with a full load, adjust your heater’s thermostat by moving it down two degrees in winter and up two degrees in the summer. These are just a few steps we can take, and if all of us follow, we can make a difference.

We as a nation, or even a planet, need to heed mother earth’s signs of distress, for we all depend on her to survive and she on us at this point to turn our fate around. Despite many attempts to open peoples eyes as to what is happening to the earth, due to our careless life styles, there is little concern in our every day lives that at some point there will be no planet earth. Will it lead to the end of us all… the apocalypse that many people have spoken about?

I believe that together we can overcome this obstacle of global warming. Rather than spending billions to fight aimless wars against each other, why aren’t we fighting the war for a cleaner planet and a brighter future? Or, better yet, a guaranteed future. Why aren’t people more outraged and passionate about global warming? It affects us all; young, old, rich, poor, black, and white. We are all in this together. Many of us will work endless hours to create a better future for our children financially, but why not work for an assurance that there will be a tomorrow? How is it that we loose sight of it all? How is it so hard for us to see that our big new fancy SUV is spilling out carbon monoxide as we cruise on a Saturday night, for something to do? So, I ask of you to do something, however large or small. Together we can make the difference.