Dalles - fresno, California

“You are not defined by your past, but molded from it”

This I believe:

That the best way to overcome a tragic event in your life is by finding something positive. That something positive doesn’t have to be in the event itself, but the growth or learning gained by the experience.

At the age of 5 my family and I were abducted and for 7 years I was brutally tortured. A year after our escape, at the age of 13 I turned to drugs and alcohol to dull my painful past. At the age of 15 what remained of my family fell apart and I was alone, homeless and living on the streets.

As the years wore on the pain and the realization that I was alone brought me to the only logical conclusion at the time. To take my own life.

But I didn’t want to take my own life and no one know why. So I sat and began to write all the details of my life that lead to that pivotal moment in my life. What started out as a note turned into 123 pages of reasons to live. By writing the experiences it enabled me to understand that bad things don’t always happen because of our own actions. Sometimes we truly are the victims of the choices made by other people. But I was still left with the burden of it being my secrets. So to help alleviate that I sent the manuscript to publishers where it was accepted. The secrets were no longer mine, but for all to read.

For a short while portions of the book was published on the internet. A few weeks later I received an email from a woman named Pat. It read, “Thank you for being a voice for the women and children who are survivors. And for those of us who still suffer in silence.”

Her words hit me with such force and it was at that moment that I realized that all those things that had happened to me there was a reason. Even if that reason is to stand here at this moment and tell you that no matter what happens to you in your life you will be okay. And if you ever feel alone just look behind you because there will be someone walking that same proverbial path of life.