Kendyl - americus, Georgia
Themes: prejudice, race

Don’t Judge a Book by It’s Cover

The day he asked me out was the same day that I had realized I had been judging people instead of accepting them for who they are.

I hesitated for an answer as I reviewed the chapters of history. Inner racial relationships have never been accepted and today they are more common but still not smiled upon. I turned him down the first time he asked me out because I was scared of what people might say, what people might think of me, but mainly I was scared of something that was so new and unclear.

My boyfriend Carlos and I have been together for three years. He has become my best friend, the half that makes me whole, and although he may not know he has become my teacher. Being in a relationship with Carlos has showed me that with people no matter what color, shape, size or style they have, they are just looking to be accepted.

By being with Carlos, my life has changed a lot and now I have learned to never judge a book by its cover because that someone you judge may be that someone who fills the pages in your book.