Chelsea - Cincinnati, Ohio

A child lost in the supermarket, a book kicked under the couch, a dog that wandered away; all these things have one commonality, they’re all lost. The panic when someone or something is lost is possibly the worst, most frightening feeling anyone can experience. The hand of a stranger is the hand of a friend to anyone who is lost. Thinking back to the many times I’ve lost something important to me, I remember the happiness I had when I found it, and more so, the happiness when someone found me when I was lost. Imagine being that child lost at the store, or perhaps a middle-schooler lost in the outskirts of Atlanta, maybe even a driver lost among back roads. I’ve been all of those people, experienced all of those situations, and let me tell you, it wasn’t fun. After these events in my life, I learned how badly the lost need help; the help of a stranger, or better yet, the help of a friend. I believe in being that friend.

As a college student living in a campus residence hall, there are certain rules and regulations we must follow in order to stay there. I found most of these easy to follow; no painting the walls, burning candles, blaring music, etc. The problem came with this rule: no pets. It seems easy enough, a cramped dorm room isn’t the place for an animal. However, try telling that to a student that had a lost kitten follow her back one night, it becomes a whole other story. My roommate and I kept a kitten we found, we took care of her for awhile until we could find a real home for her with a friend and we loved every second of it. The kitten needed our help, we reached out, broke the rules, and spent some of our “poor college student” funds to help an animal that couldn’t help itself, and we were proud of it.

Now kittens are one thing, people are another. Whether lost in life or actually lost in the unfamiliar, we all need a little help sometimes. Life is rough but I believe that all it takes is some generosity for those who are struggling and the entire world can be a better place. Lending a hand to find a lost soul, returning a dog that’s wandered too far from home, giving directions to the frantic mother in the minivan, I believe in taking the time to do all of these things. Doing something to help the lost be found is showing everyone else on this planet how one person can make a monumental difference in the life of another.