Katie - Cranbury, New Jersey

Stories are Magical

Stories are everywhere in the world, from the 1,000 page book, to the 3 hour movie, to the simple hello exchanged by classmates, all of these are stories, and they all bring magic to our crazy lives. I love books, movies, hearing stories, and most of all telling them. I have loved stories ever since I was a little kid, Ariel from “The Little Mermaid” to Barney the big purple dinosaur. Then here I am 13 years old, still loving stories, but instead of watching Ariel find true love I’m reading about a futuristic world in Uglies and watching Amanda Bynes dress up as a boy in “She’s the Man.” Years later I am still loving the magic that these stories bring to my life. Everyone has stories and magic in their lives: the rich and the poor, the white and the black, the well and the sick, the good and the bad. Regardless of who you are, stories are in your life and bringing you magic. And the story that gets you to laugh or cry or cringe is the story that truly reaches your soul. This shows why I believe that stories bring magic to our lives.

You might be sitting there saying that you don’t read books, watch movies, or listen to stories. Therefore, no story magic is in your life. However, this is not true; stories are hidden in our lives no matter how indistinguishable they might be. Stories of all kinds are everywhere, waiting until the day that they make you smile, or laugh, or cry. Stories are hidden in our everyday lives, in the conversation you had with a friend that made you laugh, to the morning news that made you cry, to the poster on the wall that made you smile. You might ignore them or be oblivious to the stories in your life but they are still reaching your heart and making your day just a little bit better and “That’s Magic!”

Stories aren’t always obvious or interesting, but every story does bring some magic with it. How many times has someone told you a story? A friend, colleague, classmate, or relative? A short “Where you are going for lunch” to a long replay of what you did over the weekend. So many people feel that they do not have time to tell a story. Yet, saying a simple “Hello” is a story in itself and can bring magic and a smile to a random person’s life just because you brought a short stories magic to them.

I have had numerous experiences where a stories magic brightens my day. Like being on the bus going home from a ridiculously long day of school and reading an amazing story that just enthralls me. And by the time I get off the bus, I am feeling better just because the stories magic is running through my veins.

Stories of all kinds are like the finished product, the triple layer chocolate cake coated with frosting and sprinkles, but the magic that the stories bring to our lives is like the raw dough of the cake. It has flaws and doesn’t always come to you when you want it to, but like the raw dough even though it isn’t great for you, you can’t help but keep wanting the magic.