This Is It

Reva - Vail, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

Carpe Diem, seize the day, this is it. The gentle hum of the tattoo gun hushes me to sleep as the words ‘this is it’ are not only etched into my neck but into my soul. I had been living by this creed all my life and as my first tattoo –I want it known– but only if you ask you can see it. I decided that I was getting a tattoo and made the appointment, but had no idea what was going to be taken with me the rest of my life until I sat down in the chair a week later with the words in my hand. Seeing as these words were perfect in the description of my life and current situation. I had come to a turning point in my life where I felt like I had accomplished the world. I had finished my freshman year of college, spoke in front of countless people about being raped, and had a hand in getting my mom sober. It was a good closure and I didn’t care what other people thought because it was special to me. These words mean more to me than any prayer, poem, novel, song, rule or law for it’s a way to live a life that you want, and make.

I believe that carpe diem allows one to figure out for them self all the childish curiosities that plague the mind without the criticism of popular culture. Making decisions in the moment to further one’s need to learn or experience is what makes a life worth while. Being able to jump out of a personal box and not worrying about regrets. I also believe that nothing should be regrettable; situations are just something you haven’t yet made the best of, or learned from. If life hands you lemons, add some lime and tequila and make margaritas. Anyone’s life can be perfect; it’s all in how they seize the day.