Talar - Glendale, California

From my young age, I showed a remarkable interest in math and science subjects. I have always studied these two subjects with a great joy and happiness. Even though I perform well in all of my classes, these two subjects have a unique and a different influence on me; keeping me interested and always wanting to learn more and more about them. If I were to be asked the question “what do you want to be when you grow up”? My response would have always been a dentist or a pediatrician.

On the first day of my elementary school, the teacher was curious to know the career path each one of us might take as grown ups. I was surprised by the huge range of answers varying from being a farmer or housewife to being a pilot or a president. Moreover, I was surprised by my own answer. “I want to be a scientist or a doctor”, I said in a confident voice. My classmates’ and my responses awakened a thought inside me which I kept wondering about for so long. I remember asking myself “ why does she want to be an engineer and not a mom”. I questioned the relationship between a person declaring the career and his chosen occupation.

For the following few years, having kept in mind my classmates’ occupations, I studied their personalities and their interests. I was amazed to see how their personalities matched their chosen careers. A mathematician performed exceptionally well throughout elementary, a nurse was always caring for others, and a mechanist didn’t forget to bring his toy car to school everyday to “fix it”.

Twelve years have passed my first elementary year, and I still am determined to be a scientist. In fact I already took my first step. I attend the Glendale community college where I complete the lower division requirements for my declared major of microbiology, immunology, and molecular genetics.

Every person has capabilities of performing whatever it is that he truly loves. Each person has a dream within his abilities. A human desire is not unreasonable or hard to achieve. And like a math professor, Dr. Sid Kolpas quoting Richard David Bach, said: “You are never given a wish without also the power to make it true.” and that I believe in.