Save an Egg Crack a Smile

Mathias - atlanta, Georgia

No matter how I feel inside in the morning, I always try to put on a smile and face the world. I guess it just makes my day and life much easier. Why start something with a negative emotion. I believe it just makes a task or my day just miserable if I do.

When I was little I would use my smile to get the attention of a beautiful girl, actually I still do. I also would smile when I would tell my mother something that I knew would get me in trouble. I did this trying to weaken her angry response. Now in my day to day life and activities I realize that I get more attention and even meet more new people when I have a smile on my face. It’s funny because, like a disease, it’s contagious! If I see a friend without a smile and I smile at them, I practically develop one on their face as a reaction to mine. In return this has happened to me on more than one occasion.

One day I went to sleep with a grudge on my mom. It was one of those grudges that I completely forgot the reason for being mad at her the next day, but yet I was still mad. The next day we ate breakfast as I was still trying to ignore her. During and after breakfast she wore a smile on her face and tried to talk to me as if nothing happened. Me being as stubborn as I was did not budge or even say a word. When I got ready to leave the house she set me aside and told me how life is too short to hold a grudge on somebody and however I’m feeling inside, I should try to put a smile over it when I go outside the door. Later on that day I was still frowning till someone I hardily knew gave me a smile. This instantly made me smile and made me think about what my mother said. After that day, everyday that I awake, I always test out my smile in the mirror after washing my face.

Different people have different ways describe a “Smile”, of which all are true. Some say “A smile is an inexpensive way to change your looks”. Others say “Smile is the language of love”. It amazing because when I think about it a smile is universal; we all smile in the same language! I think it is the greatest gift that god has given a person because it benefits many. A smile costs nothing but is worth much. When conquered with the question “Why Smile” the favorite answer for most people is the logical one. It takes more muscles to frown than to smile. And if that doesn’t work for you just “Save an egg and crack a smile”!