Sarah - Farmington, Utah

It really is a wild wonderland out there, complete with colored trees and thieves, and mystical messages from the mouths of animals. True scientists and worshippers agree there is infinite order and infinite chaos.

Science is miraculous. It can’t be blindly wielded, or smothered. Blocking progress is akin to witch hunt; it’s just modern superstition. Huge leaps of understanding came from practices shrouded in misunderstanding. From the first anatomists, to planetary positioning, to the modern day, the effects of miracles are defended against as manipulations of God’s work.

The tide of spirituality must, too, be accepted. What more can be required than high ideals? They are the shelter from the constant storm. And what a violent storm! If the world were seen as its own system, we could see that this turbulence is an attempt at equilibrium, driven by the uneven state we’re in.

The only relief is that surrounding the reconciliation of our world, our future, and our beliefs is the promise of an era of renaissance, of enlightenment. Whether this is achieved gracefully, by the will of the people, or with brutality, by the nature of the people, it is assuredly a time of great art, music, science, written word, and spirituality. These are the shock absorbers and amplifiers of violence, change, and evolution. Let the sciences grow and spirituality roam! In a global civilization we have everything we need if we can only be civilized.

Within the comforting statement, “Ever thing will be okay” is the profound lie that somehow the world will stop, war could end, and all people would be comfortable in this life. But the statement should be “everything is inevitable.” Ultimately, the only way to dispel the panic is to contribute. I hope to usher in whatever world comes, by paint, by pen, by philosophy. Since at least, for me, it may absorb the shock.