Karen - Lyman, Wyoming

I believe in the power of a sister’s love. A sister’s ability to share your joys and griefs, provide guidance on the rough waters of womanhood, and love unconditionally, set her apart from all other classes of friends. A sister who loves you is truly one of God’s greatest gifts.

My sister Georgia has always been my best friend and confidante. She is emotionally unafraid, because she’s already seen me at my best and my worst. She dives right into my worries, hurts, and deepest fears, knowing that she can help in a way that no one else can.

When I was in high school, a boy broke my heart completely. I cried, moped, dreaded going to school, and in general made my own life miserable. This was one of the low points of my life not only because of the heartbreak but because of how poorly I handled it. I don’t remember what my sister said to me, but I do remember what she did. Every day in the lunch Mom packed me, I found a note from Georgia. Sometimes they were elaborately crafted on beautiful paper, and sometimes they were hurriedly scratched out on notebook paper. But each one was a treasure to me. They were messages of validation, support, and unconditional love. She didn’t tell me that I was pathetic or to show a little pride. Georgia told me for weeks on end, every day at lunch, that she loved me. And, like lifelines thrown into the shark-infested waters of the high school social pool, these notes saved me. They were physical proof of a bond that would continue through my hardest times.

My sister’s love continues to be a powerful source of comfort and support in my life. She is not only there for my big crises, but listens when I need a sounding board for life’s little perplexities. She depends on me in the same way, and together we share all the thoughts and feelings that try the patience and listening power of even our own great husbands. Georgia’s love for me is manifest in her willingness to spend time on all the little stuff.

The perspective Georgia provides on my life is refreshingly familiar, and echoes all of my deepest set idiosyncrasies and motivations. It makes sense, since we came from roughly the same place and time. We both harbor grudges, love to sing, feel guilty every time we spend money, want to be athletic in a hopeless way, are passionate about good books and movies, and want to be good, but usually end up settling for good enough.

Intimacy is said to grow from shared experiences and beliefs. What a great gift is this lifelong friend of mine, who has witnessed my greatest disappointments and my finest achievements. With Georgia I don’t explain my history or why I am the way I am. With my sister I just am. With my sister I know I’m loved no matter what.