Rochelle - Jonesboro, Georgia

Its all about sex, flashy material, and money. “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”, is the quote you hear when going to Las Vegas also known as Sin City. It’s well known that Vegas is one of the hot spots to vacation at. There so much to do in their crazy night life and gambling is the main attraction for people to visit. This, never sleeping city, is the perfect example on why I believe gambling brings out everyone‘s spontaneity, boldness, and stupidity.

In the first or the second month of school we had casino night, and I went with my sister and our friend. It was in the gym and there were flashing lights, music playing, and people everywhere. There were a lot of poker tables, imitations chips, and replica slot machines. Some people were playing blackjack, some spades, and others on the slots. Everyone around me had tons of energy and it lasted way longer than I expected. I played blackjack with a table of four, plus the dealer, and had a fun time. Its something about playing any kind of game with a whole bunch of people that put you more in the mood.

My principle on why I feel this belief is true is how people begin to act once in the mist of gambling. My friend Talia and I also played the slot machines that night at casino night. She put her money in and pulled the handle, but when she lost that’s when she snapped! It was like a force had taken over her body and all she wanted to do was keep putting chips in the machine. She was getting frustrated, but I thought it was quite funny. Soon she ran out of chips and I walked around the auditorium with her as she reluctantly asked a few random people for extra chips. A few looked at her funny, but a couple gave her one or two. Once she got some she had to wait for the opening of a machine, which she did anxiously. She put her coin in and to both our astonishment she won. The only sad part of this story is when she won, the machine tricked her and didn’t give her the winnings she was supposed to receive. She was so shocked and surprised she began to kick and shake the machine a little, I had to almost pull her away from it. People are addicted to the rush of gambling, and once they’re hooked, common sense goes out the window.