Video Games Get You Nowhere In Education

Mark - North Quincy, Massachusetts

Who am I, and what am I? You could think of me as a hardcore video game player, or even as a fancy writer. Most importantly, I am just a human with abilities, addictions, and interests. Even though I have enjoyed these activities for the past few years, I still have a lot to learn before mastering the perfection of focus, concentration, and improvement.

How to improve on things is a question I might ask. Where to start, however, is a better question to ask. Where is it that I can start at? Well, allow me to begin by talking about my childhood experiences. Video games were something fascinating the day I set my eyes on the future addiction of my life. As I watched other people play these video games, I wanted to tag along. Eventually, I played these video games by myself because of the motivation I had. A burden feeling ran through my blood as I suffered a defeat in a video game. That had never stopped me; motivation only ran through my mind to try to progress further in a game.

The feeling of defeat does not feel good at all when it comes to be a hardcore gamer. The more I played these video games, the less I realized I was interfering with my own education. The interference went beyond my head, resulting in a punishment by my own father. Now, keep in mind that I was still in elementary school at this time! Couldn’t I just have improved some more in school while concurrently improving in games? Not only were video games in the way, but outdoor activities were exciting as well. These two things had one thing in common, simplified into one word: procrastination. The older I became, the more I procrastination violated my mind and education. My father assumed I had not learned my lesson from elementary school, so I was punished once more for a good duration during middle school. As I entered high school, I looked back at the regrettable things that had conflict me. Was it really that hard to procrastinate much less at that time? I thought of two related keys to help improve with this problem: More focus, and more concentration. As I followed this plan, my grades, knowledge, and GPA greatly improved, but some of that urge to procrastinate still remained in my heart, even to this day…

I believe I can do much better at things. Video games are not bad, but they can be bad if they take over your mind. I believe I can do better in school at the moment if I were to focus a lot more, and concentrate much harder. With enough of these two abilities, I believe I can make a difference in my future.