The Pitch

John - Leesburg, Georgia
Themes: sports

The cool scent of fresh cut grass fills the air as the athletes enter the arena. The unbelievable sight of fifty thousand people leaves someone awestruck. The sound is deafening as the crowd of people line the stands, only to get louder as the game begins. The cleats tap several times per step on the way out of the locker room only to be silenced by the green Bermuda grass that covers the pitch. The lines are drawn in circles and rectangles and it is a most beautiful sight to anyone who enjoys the game. This is the greatest sport ever played, and it is soccer. Four billion people of the world cannot be wrong.

The game is almost of godly stature among the majority of the world. Yet in the United States, people could care less if it existed or not. It is played in the shadows of football fields and baseball diamonds with a limited fan base and almost no media coverage unless it is at three o’clock in the morning. The average American just does not see the greatness of a sport where world champions mean that a team has played the very best throughout the four corners of the globe and has the honor of calling itself a champion. It is a sport in which even countries the United Nations does not recognize as being countries at all are allowed to compete for the glory of the World Cup trophy. The World Cup has even stopped wars. The warring factions actually called a cease-fire during the World Cup because the national team qualified for the tournament. For a sport to have that much effect on brutally warring countries is unheard of in the United States.

Soccer is only now getting some of the recognition it deserves in the United States. With the World Cup only being held every four years the time to take action is now. The national team is among the best having qualified for the World Cup every time since 1990 and without support of the country in which they represent they can just as easily loose it all.