Alicia - Reno, Nevada
Themes: death, hope, setbacks

Everything Happens for a Reason:

I just recently began believing that everything happens for a reason. Whenever a friend has a problem that upsets them and they ask me why it happened, my answer for them is always “Everything happens for a reason.” It’s the only sense I can make out of this very complicated world; the answer to the problems I cant solve.

Growing up in a Christian household, I was always taught to believe in God and have faith when things go wrong. I never actually put all my trust and hope into faith until just recently when my best friend’s brother passed away. It was an extremely tremulous time for my friend’s family, and I tried my best to just be there for her. When she asked me why this happened to her family,the only thing I could think of was that everything happens for a reason. I thought that would be slightly offending towards her, so I just tried my best by consoling her. She thought that maybe she should have foreseen his death by noticing something, but I know there was nothing anyone could have noticed and it was not anyone’s fault.

In my mind, faith leads to God, and my belief in God leads to the statement that “Everything happens for a reason.” The way I think of it is that God controls everything that happens, so it must mean something that maybe you thought wasn’t significant in the beginning turns out to be of significance later on. I believe everyone should have something to believe in and look up to in life because where would you be without guidance and motivation to keep moving forward? For me, that guidance and motivation comes from my faith in life.

Ater seeing my friend go through such hard times and seeing her parents lose their son in, what would seem like an instant, really made me see what was important in my world. Even after things have been hard to overcome in her family and I know it was and still is a struggle, there’s still happiness and laughter that prolongs their days. I’m sure this incident also made them realize more how much life is a sacred thing and maybe one day they’ll view it as everything happens for a reason.

Now, after everything I’ve witnessed, I try to incorporate little things into my daily life that I never even gave a second thought about. I mean it’s not like I’ve been this gloomy heartless person who walked around the halls and hated life. I just think that everyone has ways in which they can improve and help themselves while still helping others. You shouldn’t have to go through a tragedy to realize the best thing in your life and what is important to you, but that’s usually how it turns out. So I’m definitely making it my goal in life to know what is important to me and to always let my faith in God guide me through the hard times. I definitely don’t have all the answers, nobody does, but the one thing that I can believe is that everything happens for a reason.