Amand - Soddy Daisy, Tennessee

I believe in independent thought. I once had a teacher tell me, “I realize that most of you in this room will never have an independent thought in your entire life, but that’s okay… that’s just how your generation is.” At the time, I didn’t know what to think about that. I was completely oblivious to the fact that I had just been labeled on the level of a poached egg or a rock.

Contrary to popular belief, I am neither a poached egg, nor a rock, nor anything of the sort; I am a member of the species called human, and I have been blessed with the God-given ability to think. Now whether or not I choose to exercise that ability is strictly up to me.

That is my choice, and that is what I believe. I choose to think. I choose to no longer chew up useless bits of information and spit them back out so that I can make an “A” on a test. There is more to my life than good grades, popularity, and the number of AP courses I can score. If my life simply revolves around those simple things, them I am wasting my time living. If my motivation to live is what this world considers success, then my life is flat and utterly meaningless.

I want more; I want depth. In a strange way, I want answers, but I don’t want other people’s answers; I want the answers I find to be my answers. It has been my ambition ever since I was indirectly called a poached egg to have an independent thought. I want to think something on my own that has never been thought before.

If I were to be completely honest, I would have to say that I have not yet had my fantastic revelation, but I will not stop forging ahead. My motivation lies within the faint hope that one day I will overcome the mental block that hinders my generation and indeed think for myself.

I know that my own thoughts, which lie somewhere out there in oblivion, will be revealed to me one day. God has them stored in an immaculate storehouse, and he is simply waiting for me to want them badly enough. I believe that He wants me to desire my revelation for the right reasons. I should not be motivated to pursue Thought simply to force it upon others. God’s immaculate storehouse contains Thought for everyone, and I believe that He wants everyone to find their own revelations and think for themselves.

This I believe.