Paul - Wimberley, Texas

My angels have disabilities, yet they teach me to live simple and in harmony. I believe my children with disabilities are angels. I’m sanctified with angels when I see my children running and hearing their joyful laughter. Our children with disabilities are very special. They see beyond color, age or any other things that we adults see and respond too.

My son has severe eczema and other major food allergies. My wife and I learned this when he was just a few months old. My son is brave and strong, he always knew what he could eat as a baby by refusing certain foods. It is hard for him to eat foods like eggs and drink plain milk, they would get him very ill and he would end up in the infirmary. My wife and I were surprised when we learned of his condition, but also took care of him. While my son was fighting these allergies at a young age, he still loved to play and be like other children. Occasionally, we will have a set back due to his eczema and feeling the world crashing on us. Yet my son will sit and teach us patience. We were new parents and without help from family my son gave us strength by being a child and just hearing him talk about how he sees things, simple and happy. My sons’ angelic ways kept us together as a family. His sweet and peaceful actions let our thoughts relax and we are able to deal with his conditions. Now since my son is seven, he reads his ingredients’ before digesting something that will harm him. Therefore, my son had to mature faster than other children, yet now with his allergies and eczema under control he could be my kid again and happier than before. While my son will be my warrior angel who will protect his sister from this harsh life, he will teach and care for her as we have done.

I am given a second angel to care for, to provide my daughter a peaceful and happy place. My daughter was diagnosed with Down syndrome when she was born. At first my heart felt for her and worried of what her future would be. I then remembered of the children that I have worked with and I want my daughter to be happy like them, but I know what she needs and I will provide it all for her. I will give her assistance in speaking by using sign language, and having her attend day care like other kids to get her social activities. After going through two heart surgeries and other medical issues my daughter stayed strong and let us to believe that she is extremely precious in this world. My cherubic daughter is and will always be my angel who teaches me new things and learn to be and act different with my own life. She taught me that every day is a new day to smile when you wake up and when you go to sleep.

When I worked as a special education aide with children with disabilities they always made my day happier and peaceful. I learned not to feel sorry for them, but felt bad for myself for I took life for granted. I am able to walk and run and take care of myself. While the students I worked with needed the assistance to do what I can on my own. The children I have enjoyed working with taught me to be strong and see peace in others. Angels teach us to see and feel better about ourselves. I did not question what I was learning but embraced it.

If my children grow up to defeat their disabilities and be some of the few to change their labeling and succeed in life, then my life was worth something. “For if the word spoken by angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward.” Hebrews 2:2