Sharona - Sammamish, Washington
Themes: carpe diem

Life is Short: Live it Well

As I sat down to write this essay, I asked myself, “So, what is my philosophy?” I suddenly regretted the joy I felt when we first got the assignment. “Wow, this is going to easy!” I exclaimed. “No looking up or citing sources! All I have to do is write stuff about what I believe and… boom! I’m done!” However, I was headed for a rude awakening. Sometimes the hardest source to use is your own self. I contemplated for a while, though, and I finally got it figured out- for the most part. My philosophy is basically that you should be the best you can be and live your life to the fullest. It is as simple as that.

I believe that a major part of life is being a decent person. Although, what I’m unsure about is having a generic set of rules that dictate what you have to do in order to be considered “good”. These values aided me in realizing what I truly believe; be the best you can be. According to me, being your best simply means doing what you can to contribute to society and living by reasonable moral standards. However, doing your best isn’t about being perfect; it’s about giving a positive aura that will carry with you throughout life.

The value I hold dearest to me is to live life to the fullest. People say this a lot and it has become very cliché; I know. Yet this saying rings truer to me than anything else. I came upon this while I was trying to remember what I thought about when I felt lonely and overwhelmed by the world. And I did remember; I would always tell myself to live life to the fullest. At these times I figured, “Okay- people normally have about 100 years to live. And then, when they die, they move on to whatever afterlife they believe in (basically their life here on Earth is over). So why waste the precious time that you have here being unhappy, bitter, and despondent?” I have yet to meet someone that would willingly choose to have those emotions their entire lives. Instead, everyone should enjoy life, work towards goals, and take chances. In essence, your life should be filled with things that give you a sense of fulfillment.

To me, living life to the fullest and being the best you can be are what matters most; my philosophy is composed of those two beliefs. I would say that I am finishing this essay as a more complete person than when I first started writing it. And although mankind may never know what the true meaning of life is, I am that much closer to understanding what the true meaning of my life is.