Ian - Greenbelt, Maryland

I believe in honoring my Mother and Father.

I remember going fishing with my Dad as a young child, just me and him. It was the first time I had ever been fishing, and I was extremely excited. I remember getting our stuff ready and going out on the small motor boat onto a small lake in Drummond Island, Michigan. We lined our poles and put the necessary weights, hook, and bait on the end of it, a worm. We cast our lines and waited; and waited. My childhood enthusiasm never faltered as I sat there with my Dad, waiting for a hit. We were not only looking to catch a fish, we were enjoying nature, God’s creations, and valuable Father and Son time.

When the day was over, I came home radiant! I had caught my first fish, a catfish. Everyone was so happy for me and congratulated me on my newest accomplishment in life; I was proud of myself.

I learned patience and gained a sense of accomplishment from my first fishing trip. Even more importantly, I spent quality time with my Dad. It was times like this that built a strong bond between me and my Dad. When I came to the age when I realized my Dad wasn’t perfect, I relied on the bond that had been made and love he showed for me to increase my love, gratitude, and follow his example even more.

I also remember being a young child and loving sports. I was the only boy, and I was constantly making balls and tossing them around the house. My Mom, who is not in the least bit athletic and has very little hand eye coordination, understood that I was different than the girls, and needed to toss the ball around sometimes. She would pass the ball with me in the yard until I outgrew her throws and had to move on to Dad’s.

My Mom and Dad has always been so loving, caring, understanding, and supportive of me. They taught me truth, and have shown me the way through example.

A strong relationship with family is irreplaceable. This I believe.