nathan - Coronado, California
Themes: children

Growing Up Fast

Kids now days are growing up way to fast. They are joining gangs, chasing the opposite sex, and even doing drugs and partying. It seems they have forgotten the simple stuff that goes along with being young and carefree. When I was in middle school, I was still wearing the MC Hammer pants, had a mullet (All business in front and party in the back) and girls did not even enter my mind. I was more concerned with finishing my homework so I could go play hide and seek with friends. We used to run around the neighborhood and play games till the street lights came on. Those were the best days with no worries in the world. We were just kids.

Kids today act as if they are ready for life. I have some younger cousins that should be playing with friends and enjoying their childhood years, instead they want to go to the mall to meet guys. Every chance they get they are trying to drink, smoke, or hook up with a boy. Is this what most kids are doing? There thoughts are much more advanced and mature than what a 12 year old should have. They dress like they are older, there conversations are about mature topics, and with all the technology most kids have cell phones and access to adult internet sites. All of these should be of great concern because kids can only be kids for a certain period of time and this time should be free of all the stresses of adult life. Kids should not have boy or girl problems yet. Kids should know about drugs, but should not be using them. They should be spending their time playing games and enjoying the careless free time they have while they have it.

As adults, we have control over what kids do in there younger years. We are the role models kids look up to and this is the time for parents to step up. Show the kids a good time and be the guiding hand. The values that are instilled in kids while they are young will help them later on in life. Kids of today are our future and we should make our future bright. This I believe.