Lauren - San Marcos, Texas

This I Believe…

I believe that laughter is the best medicine. There is nothing like a laugh that keeps your stomach cramping, your eyes watering and a smile on your face for hours. Ever since I was younger I always found a way to laugh at any given situation; I just learned to ride my bike when I decided to ride it down an extremely steep hill for the first time. Suddenly I lost balance and fell off my bike into a pile of raging fire ants, the sore red bumps itched for days, but the thought of the wind in my hair and the thrill of the ride were well worth the hundreds of ant bites.

It was not until this past year that I realized the healing power of laughter. After spending the night bringing in the New Year my best friend Chelsea was on her way home. In an instant a drunk driver ran a red light and smashed into her driver’s side door, glass laid all over the street and her car was almost unrecognizable. I had lost my best friend; my sidekick to someone else’s irresponsibly. Chelsea and I were friends for four years and where ever you could find her you were able to find me, we were inseparable. The days to come were never the same for me. Every Wednesday night we would order pizza, eat a pint of ice cream and rent movies, this tradition was over. I would never have another adventure with my wingman. Who was going to be my look out when we went dumpster diving at Pier One? My days felt empty and dull, I felt empty and alone.

Then on my way home from school one day I heard a song on the radio, Summer Girls by Jessica Andrews I quickly turned it up. This was our song, mine and Chelsea’s. We would listen to this song constantly, singing the words as loud as our voices could carry and I tapped my toes outside the car window to feel the cool breeze. Summer Girls had a way of making us act silly and free spirited. In that moment I realized, the time we spent together was full of these stomach cramping laughs. Rather than dwelling in the fact that I had lost my sidekick, I laughed at all the times we were able to share together. Laughter was the greatest medicine to help heal the pain of losing Chelsea. I spent that afternoon driving to our favorite spots in town and listening to Summer Girls, laughing and reminiscing about all the excellent memories we shared.