Juan - McAllen, Texas

The relief of my illness

The year is 2002; I am sitting down in a foreign place — a place where I do not understand what my teachers are saying, a place where people look whiter than me, a place where I’m looked at in a different way, different than the way I was looked back home. I am in the state of Indiana, this foreign place is school and back home is Mexico. In this foreign place there is only one place I would rather be, at my house with my mom and dad. I believe in the relief my family gives me.

Back then I was only thirteen years old and my parents decided to move to another country. I went to school every day with the hope of learning English and being able to communicate with the people around me. When I was in class, my mind would wander around and think in Spanish about my family and my friends back in Mexico. This happened because I was bored and I didn’t understand what the teacher was saying to me. One day I got up and somehow told my teacher that I was sick and that I wanted to go to the clinic. He signed my pass, I walked to the clinic and once I was there I had trouble describing my pain, I told the nurse that I had a fever and that I wanted to call my parents to go home. The nurse checked my body temperature and the thermometer showed I was sick. My dad had to stop working and go pick me up. Right when I saw my dad in the parking lot, I started feeling better; I smiled, and waited for him inside. When he walked towards me to sign me out, every step he got closer to me, my health improved, by the time he was next to me and asked me, “¿Que te pasa?” I had to say, “Nada,” that I was alright. He took me home with my mom and he went back to work. When I was home accompanied by my mom I felt relieved. My illness had completely gone away and I was joyful.

My family’s company cured me immediately. It was the only place I felt at ease. I felt secured and comfortable. Just the feeling of having someone I could talk to, someone I knew and someone that loved me cured me from any disease I had at school. I believe in the relief a family gives.