Izaneli - Eagle Pass, Texas

I Believe

I have always been the superstitious type. Growing up with a Mexican heritage, Mexicans tend to have traditions and our own ways in believing about a certain topic. My grandmother believed in Mexican traditions, God, superstitions such as, don’t put an umbrella inside a house, or never break a mirror or you will have seven years bad luck. Most importantly, she believed in karma. She always said what goes around comes back around. When I was an immature youth, I didn’t understand this, but as I grew older, I realized the importance of karma and that you should never mess with it. I truly believe in karma.

Throughout my life, my grandma was like my mother. Till this day, when I go to her house I feel a comfortable energy that enthralls me. One Friday afternoon my grandmother got a telephone call from my aunt Patty. She was crying on the phone yelling, “He left me mom! God took him away from me!” My grandma got off the phone in a hurry and rushed us in the car. When we opened the door my aunt fell into my grandmother’s arms and burst into tears. I am the biggest “leecha” which in English means always wants to know everything. I wanted to know what was happening so I crept quietly in the room my aunt and grandma were in, and listened to their conversation. My aunt started talking about how she regretted divorcing my uncle. She said that if she would have stayed with him none of this would have happened. That moment I knew that my uncle had passed away. He had died in a car accident.

My uncle was a cruel man to my aunt. He would hit her and would not let her go out unless it was only to pick up my cousins from school. He was also unfaithful to her. He would tell her that he would work late but he was actually seeing another lady. Of course I found out about this when I got older. My aunt couldn’t bear it any longer, so one day she left him and filed for divorce. Thirty minutes later my mom arrived. An hour later she took us home, and the drive back home was quiet. The next day at my grandmother’s house she was talking to her sister on the phone. She said, “I can’t believe that this has happened. I told Patty when she was going to get a divorce that karma will come his way. I think this is a sign of karma but I did not think that this would happen.” It was in that moment that I learned what karma meant.

As I grew up, I started understanding the way my grandmother thought. I know that some people do not believe in karma. I was that person for awhile, but realized that karma is true. Treat others the way you would want to be treated or suffer the consequences!