Holly - Austin, Texas
Themes: work

Persistency to Achieve Dreams

I believe in persistency. My dreams, my goals, and my future all have one thing in common. I want to be successful, and I want to be as good as I can possibly be. Ever since elementary school I have found interest in many different types of activities: gymnastics, piano, flute, tennis, and cheerleading. Gymnastics was my favorite activity and sport, making The Olympics so entertaining. Seeing girl gymnasts wearing bright gem-encrusted leotards fly into the air and twirl their bodies into difficult positions amazed me. Therefore, in an attempt to reflect upon The Olympics gymnasts, I joined a gymnastics class once a week. Though I loved gymnastics so much, I never became an advanced gymnast on a team, but I wish I had.

When I was around 8 years old, I became lazy and begged my mom to let me stay home days I was to go to the gym. My lethargy extended to the point where all I wanted to do was watch TV and chat on the internet. One time I actually pretended I broke my finger the week prior, so I could tell her I was unable to perform any aerobatics anyways. Eventually, I decided to stop taking gymnastic classes’ altogether, and my skills faded. Unfortunately, my laziness came back to haunt me at the age of 9 during my school talent show. I watched as a classmate named Monica showed off her incredible gymnast skills, and I was completely envious.

I learned something from Monica. To achieve your dreams you must be persistent and give it your best effort. She wasn’t born a gymnast; she became one through diligent practice and hard work. To this day I regret giving up on something I admired so much. If I had stayed in gymnastics for a continuous amount of time I could have been just as amazing as Monica. I regret not continuing piano lessons, playing the flute, playing tennis, taking gymnastics classes, and continuing cheerleading, because I could have become a highly talented individual. Yet, even if I will never become an Olympic gold medalist or a musician, I’m now okay with that. Right now I am concentrating on something new: my future success, something I will never give up on, because regret is a very hard thing to live with. Never give up the talent you can potentially create. I learned the hard way, and if only I had known this before, I could presently be a talented gymnast.