Caitlyn - San Marcos, Texas

Sisterly Love

I believe in the love between two sisters. Growing up, I was lucky enough that I always had a person to turn to. She was older, all-knowing and one of the only constants in my life. She was my sister, Jaime, and she is the reason why I am who I am today.

For eight-teen years I have looked to her as my rock, someone always there for me, and a guideline of the kind of person I hope to be. She is smart, balanced and never seems to fail at answering any question I throw at her. From math homework to boy problems she had all the answers. It is difficult to capture my exact feelings for Jaime because the love between two sisters is something that cannot be explained, only felt. It is not our parents that make us sisters but the moments we shared growing up. I can remember coming home upset, practically in tears; it was the first day I had worn my glasses to school. Both my mother and father tried to tell me they made me look smart or something to that effect but only my sister could calm my nerves. She told me glasses were in style and anyone who made fun of me would have to answer to her, instantly my tears dried and my world was back in order. We also had our typical sister fights, pulling hair and pranks, but at the end of the day the love was still there and always will be. She is one of the only people who I can truly trust with any thought that comes to mind, without fear of judgment or ridicule, and that is the most comforting feeling in the entire world.

A few months ago my sister told me that she would be moving to Georgia for school as soon as her condo sold. Even though I was heartbroken at the thought of her leaving me, I smiled and hugged her, wishing her congratulations and happiness. I began to think about all the events in our lives that we shared, and knew that the only thing that would change would be her address because as sisters there will forever be a bond between us that is unbreakable. Amy Li, owner of a Chinese magazine, said something that I believe to be true and that reflects exactly how I feel about my own sister, “Having a sister is like having a best friend you can’t get rid of. You know whatever you do, they’ll still be there”.