Tyler - San Marcos, Texas
Themes: love

I Believe in a Thing Called Love

I believe in a thing called love not just because it was a one hit wonder song for the band, Darkness, or the incessant portrayal as some perfect and righteous thing by TV. I believe love is used to find the right path in life and the beauty in others.

I remember my childhood perspective of love for my mother, father, and close family members. Always around me, my parents radiated compassion and care. However, now that I am older though I see that same love but more added on to it. I came to discover the love of the opposite sex and friends. I found a tiny piece of love when I dated a friend whom I had known for nine years. At that time she was the loveliest thing. I thought love had died though when she decided to move on. I fell into a depression that seemed to never end and lost almost all confidence in myself. I was struck speechless and felt as if I would never love again like my heart had been wrenched apart.

Yet this disappointment soon gave way to another discovery in my life of friends who had been there for me from the very beginning. My best friend reemerged in this dire time of need and is still to this day my best friend. I can confide in him my women problems, relate to his stories, and most of all relax and have fun. That is how I found brotherly love for life.

I also gained from that painful experience of love a new understanding of what love means to me. Even if the heart has been broken it is only for a better reason and I found part of that reason. I came to think of the experience as showing me what I want in life and what I do not want in my life. I broadened my horizons to new venues to see what else was out there.

That is where love lost has taken me. I find new paths every day because of just one instance of love in my life. I also know I have already been treading these trails blindly because of my love of family and friends. I do not see love as some pure, perfect, and just thing. I see it as another way of connecting to life and being put out deeper and deeper into the world. Love can lead to a certain amount of disillusionment, but in the end, it guides you to your own moral, ethical, spiritual, and physical needs. I believe in love not because it is some perfect thing but because it is fallible, yet still finds ways to open up new doors and interest in love.