I Believe In Being Held

Molly - LaPorte, Texas
Themes: love

The best hugs are the kinds that make me feel like I’m the most important person in the entire world to my loved one that is holding me. I adore the feeling of being wanted by the one person I love more than anything else in the world. With a hug, words and phrases are no longer needed when someone wants to let me know how much they care about me. When that special someone squeezes me in their arms, they physically tell me that I am invaluable to them and that they don’t ever want to lose me.

I had a friend John my senior year of high school that would give me a giant hug every time he saw me. Those warm embraces wrapped me in contentment because I knew that he loved me enough to wrap his arms around me and hold me. And John never missed a hug in the year I spent in high school with him. No matter what emotion was scrawled across my face, John would without questions hold me in his arms for a few moments at the end of the day right before we went our separate ways. I knew from those hugs, that without a doubt, John loved me unconditionally, and he told me this fact every day with a silent verb. No words were ever necessary.

Sometimes a simple act will transcend any word. I can simply say to someone, “I love you,” but if I refuse to act on my words, I have failed in showing my love. I am a firm believer in the phrase “actions speak louder than words.” I would much rather have someone show me in actions what I’m worth to them rather than just spout off empty words. When I’m hugged, I feel that person’s love for me rather than just hear it. I am physically shown appreciation for who I am to that person. I know that, to my loved one, I am good, wanted, valuable, priceless.