Strength of a Powerful Prayer

Edgar - San Marcos, Texas

I believe in the power of a well thought-out prayer. I try my best to remember this before I take action in my life. As bad as a day may seem, it is not the end of the world. A good prayer can help me get through the worst of days.

One year ago, I had one of the worst days of my life. I don’t remember the exact date but, I knew I would remember the event that took place that day for a long time. On that day, the relationship between my girlfriend of two years and I ended. My world was shattered. Memories of our relationship flashed before my eyes as she gave me her reasons for ending our relationship. I remembered a moment in our relationship when we shared a strawberry flavored ice cream cone at the Tropical Sno back in my hometown. We took turns licking and taking bites out of the cone. We dabbed our fingers into the strawberry frozen treat and smeared ice cream on each other’s nose. We licked it off and shared a kiss after that. It was a great moment in my life that I will always remember.

Constant memories like that flashed though my thoughts throughout the rest of that day. When I got home, I called my best friend to ask him for some advice. I told him what happened that day as clear as I remembered. As my voice grew weak and uneasy, he asked me if I was okay and I began to cry a little. I told him I had to go and hung up with him. As soon as we hung up, my eyes began to pour heavily. I stuffed my face into my pillow and yelled at the top of my lungs. I had a horrible pain in my chest and grew worse the more I wept. My life felt ruined and wasted. I contemplated what to do next as I poured my heart out. The thought of suicide came to mind. All I had to do was get in the car and…make a wrong turn. It was that simple. The more I thought about it, the more ideas came to mind along with one that would keep me alive; prayer.

My mother always told me that the strongest weapon a man or woman can live-by is the power of prayer. I figured that I should try to pray first before I make a rash decision that I would regret. I recited an Our Father and began to say a prayer. “Lord, please help me now in my time of need. I don’t know what to do now and I ask for your help to get me through this time of pain.” Within fifteen minutes, I stopped weeping and had calmed down. I never thought the power of prayer worked so effectively to change me from thoughts about death to thoughts of peace and security.

Prayer helped me get through the extreme dilemma in my life and because of prayer, I do not live in the shadows of a past relationship. The first couple of weeks were still shaky and depressing, but slowly, I began to come out of my shell and became the person I used to be before our break-up. The power of prayer helped me get through any situation and it can help you too if you believe in the Holy Spirit.