Jim - Arvada, Colorado
Themes: sports

This I Believe Essay

I believe that sports have a great impact on an individual’s life. Other than the obvious physical impact, summer training with a team and brutal practices can build bonds with friends that nothing else in life can. It doesn’t matter what sport you’re involved in, but for me football and baseball taught me the importance of characteristics like discipline, respect, hard work, and responsibility. When I was a freshman in high school, my coaches always told me that being involved in some sort of sport will not only help you become more athletic and physically demanding, but it will help with building character and boldness in an individual. I never really understood what they were talking about until now that I have time to look back at my past with a mature attitude.

For me, high school football and baseball taught me many things about life and myself. Ninety percent of my summers during high school consisted of football practice, baseball games, and a summer job. At the time, I absolutely hated my summers. It felt like I had no time with my friends, but what I didn’t realize was that all my friends were going through the same schedule along with me. The football conditionings in ninety degree whether, giving and receiving crushing hits from your closest friend, and then being there to give that same friend a hand to get him back on his feet, are all factors that contribute into building relationships for life and “character”. The mind state of every person on my high school team was that they didn’t want to be the weakest person or be