Brendan - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

Brendan Huffman, Period 7 English, 11/4/07

Through the ages humans have had an amazing power to push their limits. These limits are not only physical, but also mental and even spiritual. Humans have time and time again gone beyond limits that no one thought possible. By pushing their bodies, imaginations, and spiritual souls humans have accomplished incredible feats. The humans names that have done these things go down in history and become imprinted in our minds, they give us inspiration, and something to aspire to. These humans are legacies and give us a standard to reach higher, to reach that pinnacle of the ultimate power to push one’s self to what was once thought impossible.

To make some of the most creative, complex, and innovative advances in knowledge and technology humans had to stretch their imagination and minds to limits and levels few have ever reached. Humans that have created such masterpieces of art, engineering, science, mathematics, architecture, and literature that they have been, at times, doubted by their peers, this did not stop them from believing in their theories and ideas. Such names as Galileo, Darwin, DaVinci, Marie Curie, and Einstein come to mind when thinking about these humans. All these people have pushed the mind and imagination to full length and have accomplished feats that are some of the most mind boggling and beautiful pieces of words, numbers, and art.

Other humans have pushed their bodies in the ways of physical strength and endurance. These people learned to control the body’s pain and push through it. They persevered to achieve amazing summits. Humans that persevered through physical pain have climbed impossible heights, run impossible races, pushed the ability of the human body. The best of these accomplishments we can scarcely believe, names such as Lance Armstrong, Roger Banister, and Edmund Hillary inspire us to push our physical abilities to a limit that we thought impossible.

Another area of the body in which people have pushed their limits is spiritually. Although this is not commonly thought of as stretching the body people such as Mahatmas Gandhi and Doctor Martin Luther King Junior have most certainly pushed their bodies to the limit. These people make us humble ourselves and realize that we can make a difference and should make a difference in our world today. These people also inspire us to resolve conflicts in a nonviolent way. Not matter our religion we should aspire to people like Gandhi and Doctor King and try to act, as they would have in our position.

There are three disciplines I have highlighted mental, physical, and spiritual. We should all push ourselves in these categories. There is always room for improvement. I believe that if all of us utilized our power as humans to push our limits this world we live in would be an entirely better place. Our warring would cease and our care for others would increase, our unhealthiness and lack of physical activity would cease, and our knowledge and our quality of education would increase. And those not fortunate enough to be able to push themselves mentally, because of lack of education, or physically, because of lack of food or other necessities, would be helped because all of us would spiritually push our limits to help others in need. So I implore all people to use their amazing power of humans to push their limits.