Joshua - Cobb, Georgia
Themes: prejudice

Through the course of my life I have made a lot of stupid mistakes. These mistakes have caused me to gain a certain reputation with the people that think they know me. I hope you noticed how I said people that think they know me. These are the kind of people that put other people down without ever getting to know the person they are hurting. I can not disagree that I have made mistakes and with that comes consequences but why should people that don’t even know me be able to pass judgment on me. This predicament that I have gotten myself into is why I believe that no one should ever judge a book by its cover.

Next time you are in a big city take a look around at all the poverty stricken people around you. What comes to your head as you see them? For most of you out there your thoughts will mostly pertain to the negative things that could have gotten these people where they are at in life. We see somebody sitting on the sidewalk and we automatically get the notion that they are either a drug addict or an alcoholic. This shallowness is what really bugs me. Nobody has the right to judge anyone else. What makes the person walking down Wall Street in a nice suit any different from the guy laid out on the bench in a newspaper suit? Next time before you start jumping to conclusions about what your media driven imagination might be telling you to think, try getting to know the person. It might turn out that you might have something to learn from the old burnt out bum.

Convicts get a bad rap all the time. Nobody has a harder time getting a job than somebody that has been in jail. The problem I have with this is some of these ex-cons are good guys that got caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time. People automatically think the worst when they hear that someone has been to jail, like everyone that’s been to jail had murdered somebody. Society needs to realize that these ex-convicts have paid there debt to society and no where in their sentencing did it give people the right to look down on them just because they messed up.

Judging someone before you actually get to know them could cause you to miss out some of life’s greatest things. So whenever you see someone that looks just a little bit off color instead of thinking to yourself “What’s wrong with them?” think to yourself “I wonder what’s up with them?”