I Believe that God Does Everything for a Reason

Sarah - Hahira, Georgia

“Why me?” That is the question that many people ask themselves whenever something has gone wrong in their lives. It is the same question that I asked God and myself whenever my grandfather passed away two years ago. When I look back on it now I see just how selfish I was being. It could not have happened at a worse time. It was the week of spring break and I wanted nothing more than to go to the beach, but God had other plans. It took my grandpa dying for me to stop and realize that I firmly believe that God does everything for a reason.

I can still remember how he smelt of peppermints and tobacco. It was the best smell in the entire world to me. Every time I hugged him I would grab onto him hard and take in a big waif and let it sink into me just like you do whenever you smell the sweet scent of moms home cooking. I could not seem to get enough of him. His specialty was cooking pancakes. It was a tradition every Sunday morning. They tasted like heaven. But he did not just teach me how to cook or give me the best memories in the world, he tried many times to teach me about God and how he is in control of time and that everything that happens to us is for a reason, but me being a teenager I thought I knew it all.

I remember the morning that we got the news. We were on the way to see him in the hospital after a routine leg surgery. I felt as if I was hit by a semi truck. Everything inside of me just burst with sadness. I remember looking out the window and thinking that everything looked dead to me. Instead of beautiful fields of green, I saw nothing. I never knew that you could feel that kind of pain. Once everything was said and done and I had time to reflect, I remember hearing small voices of reassurance enter my mind.

I then, slowly began to turn my life around. It became clear. I had to put all my trust into Gods hands and whatever he wants for my life will happen. It was hard to do at first but with each passing day it got easier because God was finally in control. If it had not been for my grandfather passing away, I would not have trusted God in knowing that he has a reason for everything.