Glynn - San Marcos, Texas

I believe in fantasy, the fiction we all need in an all too factual reality. It appears to me that the most meaningful things in life are unreasonable, so much so that sometimes they seem to come out of fairy tales.

When I was a boy, there was not much excitement going on around the house. My father was often sick and my mother busy tending to the various family affairs. We never went on any adventures very far from the house; in fact, we’ve lived in that house for eighteen years now with hardly a vacation to reminisce on. During my early childhood, it was easier to travel through the vehicle of my unlimited imagination, encouraged by stories of Robin Hood, and Buffalo Bill, and King Arthur and Merlin, and Luke Skywalker, and Hercules. All the brave heroes a child might hear about at his bedside. These stories made me long to go on my own adventures. I would pretend and fantasize all kinds of adventures. I would become a cowboy in harsh Indian territory, dodging tomahawks and arrows as I twirled my two pistols, shooting down every last savage I saw. A mighty sword would fill the palm of my hand as I strode gallantly into battle against a hundred evil knights and slew every last one of them. It didn’t matter to me if my stories were real or made sense; I was caught in the bliss of my dreams of being the courageous hero, a champion of goodness.

As I grew older, these dreams began to dwindle in my head more and more; so I began to read. My mother would take me to library every once in a while and my legs would always wander to the fiction corner, where I would find stories about dragons and magic and talking animals, which filled my heart with hope and excitement. This love of fantasy remains with me even today, and I’ve come to believe that life is made up of make-believe. While I know that I must grow up and face responsibilities, I think that it is pointless to strive to solve the jigsaw puzzle of life with only the means of my mind’s logic. As I view it, there is much more worthwhile truth to discover in the fairy tales of my youth, than in all the scientific thought of the rational realm.

It seems so many in our world of technological gadgets and gears think that everything must be logical, saying, “Don’t follow your emotions because you’ll end up in a tragedy.” Well I say every hero goes through tragedy. And I believe that if we stop continuing in our efforts to solve the puzzle of life, always caring only about what makes logical sense and instead follow what we know is right and what we can feel is love and passion, all the pieces will fall right into place.