William - St. Peters, Missouri
Themes: question

I believe that things aren’t always what they seem.

My wife held the brassiere between us and uttered these bone-chilling words, “I found this in your boat and it isn’t mine.”

Regarding the question of bra ownership, well, I want to be delicate about this, but I can state categorically that it didn’t belong to my wife. The velocity with which she was slinging it around made reading the little size tag impossible, but one glance at the garment itself and I knew it was larger than those in my wife’s dresser drawer.

Another point of interest regarding this rogue under-garment was that this particular design would never be found in the va-va-voom section of anyone’s secret catalogue. No, this was a “good old-fashioned sit in the sales floor dump bin at the discount store” type of bra that wasn’t meant to see the light of day.

Removed from that stressful moment I laugh when I think of the picture we made, husband and wife standing toe to toe, eyeball to eyeball attempting communication through a tangled mess of straps and cups. Until that day I would’ve said it impossible to frame an argument with a strange bra swinging at eye level, but it can happen.

I wasn’t sure what to do but I knew instinctively that I was in for a stressful evening. I was experiencing first hand that “hell hath no fury” business I’ve heard so much about.

My wife had questions, so did I, but we were short on answers. Even motivated as we were to find the facts, there seemed no logical answers.

Perhaps I’m becoming cynical as I get older but I find myself more and more within that category. That is, the category of having far more questions than I do answers.

Oh there’s no shortage of folks ready to share their answers about most any subject with me, but what I’ve discovered about those folks is that they’re usually only interested in helping me think like they do.

Rare is the exchange of ideas that takes place with the understanding that more important than swaying opinions is the function of exchanging new information and filtering it through a wide spectrum of sources. Sources that we are naturally inclined to relate too, as well as those that we are not.

I believe we should insure our thinking isn’t steeped in ignorance by investigating facts open-mindedly through a wide variety of avenues rather than lazily allowing others to perform this function for us.

Oh, and the bra my wife found in our boat? Working together we discovered it was her mother’s. During a visit she had washed it out and draped it over the boat to dry and forgot to take it with her when she left.

Searching for that answer made a difference, because things aren’t always what they seem.