I Believe in Football

Clinton - Santa Fe, Texas
Themes: sports

I understood the concept of consequences when I was in the seventh grade at a football practice. I had been avoiding my math homework for quite awhile and had accumulated nine zeros in the class. When football practice was over that night, my coach asked me to stay. He told me that I was to do whistle drills, and I had 100 yards for every zero. I had to get down in a three point football stance and when he blew the whistle I had to sprint full speed until he blew it again. At that point I had to dive down at the ground, chest first and then reposition myself before he blew the whistle for me to run again. As easy as this may seem, it is a very tiring task for a seventh grader after a hard night of football. This experience helped me understand that school came before anything else, and despite the fact that I was passing the class, laziness would not be tolerated. I have learned that school is a first priority and to take school seriously or there are consequences. Football has helped teach me a great deal about consequences and that no matter where I go in life or what I do, I must deal with them. I think learning this lesson early in life has played a big part in keeping me out of trouble, in fear of the consequences I may face. I began playing football at the age of five and since then I have learned many values from coaches and surrounding influences like parents and older role models. Sports helped to teach me to consequences are a part of life and I must deal with them every day. I have learned to think before I do things and have realized that football has played a vital part in teaching me this important life lesson.