Lindsay - Cleveland, Texas

The Power of Singing Songs

I believe in the power of singing songs. When I was a little girl, I would spend the night at my grandparent’s house, and before I could go to sleep my Gramma would always have to sing me a song. Sometimes my Gramma and I would lie awake and sing together. Also, at home my sister had a line up of the same 5 or 6 songs that she would sing to me each night before we would go to sleep. These were songs that I still remember to this day.

Sometimes when my parents were working, I would come from school to my grandparent’s house. If I had not had a good day, my Gramma would take me into the living room and she would play the piano while my Grampa sat in his chair with the hymnal and we would sit and sing songs. As we sang I felt my world would change; everything that was bad became good, even if it was just for that one moment. I will never forget the power that I felt as we sang. These are times that I will cherish forever.

One of the hardest things I ever had to go through was when my Grampa died. Even though we were sad that he was gone, we had a celebration of his life, and we know in our hearts that he is in Heaven with our Savior. My Grampa loved to sing, and I know that he is singing with the angels in constant worship of our Heavenly Father! That is the true power that I feel of singing a song! It is like being at the top of a mountain with your arms spread wide, and down below is a deep valley, but you are on top; to me that is freedom, that is power. That is the type of freedom that I feel when I sing.

On Thanksgiving Day, for example, returning home and eating so much food, we stopped by my Grammas’ house. I had enough time to go outside and sit on the swing looking at the flowers all around, and enjoy the clouds in the beautiful blue sky and the cold wind blowing on my face. I sat in awe of God’s creation just thanking Him for all the blessings in my life; then I just began to sing, “how marvelous, how wonderful, and my song shall ever be, how marvelous, how wonderful, is my Savior’s Love for me.”

A song has low notes and high notes, which to me represents the hard times and good times in life. Each song has a different tune to it. Each day you wake up is a new day; it is going to be different than the day before! You never know what that day will hold, but we should still live each day to the fullest, and sing as loud as we can. Each time that I am able to sing I am so thankful for that opportunity. Simply, I feel freedom in singing.