Pablo - Kirkland, Washington
Themes: humanism

I believe in humanism. It is the belief that all humans are equal, that the fact you exist is enough for me to value your life and ideas, the idea that we will define ourselves as part of humanity, before any religion, race, sex, nationality, etc.

I also believe that humanism is doomed to failure in my generation. As humans we have evolved and build a series of rational constructs on top of our genetic programming or instincts, it is a way to justify many acts and behaviors. Of these instincts the one to belong is one of the strongest; it allowed us to survive as a tribe and then eventually as a nation or a community bonded by a religious belief. This same tribal instinct, regardless its scope, also divides us as humans. I fear our differences; I feel comfortable with those who I have something in common.

This creates an environment where the survival of my group is more important than yours, where my religion, my country or my football team are better than yours and should prevail in a world of scarce resources.

The only way to break this and expand beyond the constraints of our borders (real or imaginary) is for all humans to have something to force to unite. This agent of change or humanism can have two faces. The first one and the one that may bring faster results is fear. Something so catastrophic, that affects all of us and forces to cooperate. Maybe global warming will be the one, together with a new pandemic in a world where news and information travel almost instantly.

The other option is through education. If we could raise the level of education in mass, we could help others achieve opportunities that satisfy their immediate needs and eventually help them talk and understand others. This later option is my preferred method, although I know I will not live to see it realized. It will take a long time and a lot of people sharing the idea to make it happen.

Still, I believe it is worth trying, I will try to pass this believe to my children, while I work with others with similar ideals to seed this future.

I hope that my children will pass this idea to theirs; that our community will grow with each new generation.

The benefits will eventually a better world, where wars, genocide or discrimination based on our fears and incomprehension of others will not be possible, because we are all members of one tribe, we are equal, the fact you exist is enough for me to value your life and ideas.

Simply put, I believe we all will be Humans.