A Strange Feeling

Mario - Coronado,, California

Every year we go to my family’s ranch near Mexico City for Christmas. I used to live there as a child, while my father was establishing his clothing factories. My family is very dedicated to giving back to the town where it is located. We have established an orphanage which we visit every year. When I was little I never wanted to go to the orphanage because some of the kids were my age and I had a game boy and they didn’t, it made me feel bad for them. As I grew older I realized that I enjoyed going to visit the kids, and organizing parties and other fun events for them. Then I had realized that the joy of giving is greater than receiving. Another time when I discovered this was when we took a trip to Chiapas to see the Mayan ruins. Chiapas is the poorest state in Mexico. We traveled all along the river seeing many beautiful sights such as the Waterfalls and the colorful lagoons. The ruins were cool as well, but I was way more into the restaurants, the natural landscape and the people. Our trip ended in the state of Campeche, where we visited my Grandfather’s Ranch, this is a different ranch where red cedar and teak wood are grown. A lot of people work at this ranch, most of them very poor. A particular group of people that work here are the Mennonites. These are hard working people who do not believe in using technology or electricity or anything like that. Everything is as it was in the 1800’s in their town. We visited this town and I met a guy my age, the son of someone who worked at the ranch. His name was Johan, and he was the only one who spoke Spanish in his family. Everyone else spoke some lower German dialect. I had never seen anyone like him, and for him I am sure it was a new experience as well. It was like a trip back in time. They had never seen an I-pod, and rarely listen to music. Johan asked me for my I-pod, he wanted to buy it for $200 pesos ($20 USD, too cheap for an I-pod). I told him “No, you can get in trouble with the Pastor”. Then I felt bad because that wasn’t real the reason why I wouldn’t give it to him, the reason was my greed. I could tell he really wanted it, and he would be the coolest kid in his village if I did. So I gave it to him. I didn’t get to use it for the rest of my trip, and the plane ride was really boring. But the feeling I got from making his day, was far greater than the relief of listening to music for 10 hours. I still can’t describe it but I would like to have more of those.