Kristin - Laguna Niguel, California

I consider myself to be a very fortunate person. My life so far, being 21, has been very blessed. Last year was a very difficult and heart-breaking time for me. I went through several emotional tragedies but grew as a person. My life was tremendously impacted and changed when my dog, my boyfriend’s friend, and Grandma died.

Last August my dog passed away in her sleep right before her 13th birthday. She was part of the family and I loved her so much. It was extremely hard to lose her and I was very devastated. I went home to see her one last time and to say goodbye. When I got there, she was lying on her blanket and looked so peaceful as if she was sleeping. I will always have her in my heart and will never forget how much joy she brought to me and my family.

Soon after, in September, my boyfriend’s good friend died in a car accident. He was only 21 years old. I had gotten the privilege to know this amazing guy, who, on the occasional times we saw him, made me feel so welcomed. He was the kind of guy who was the life of the party and who had a way with people, touching many lives. This was the first funeral I had ever been to and I will always remember it. Seeing all the pain and grief of everyone there and listening to my boyfriend give his eulogy was one of the most traumatizing and sad times I have been through. This tragedy had such an impact on my life and I live today remembering that life is too short to worry about the little things that do not matter.

Last Thanksgiving, my Grandma passed away at age 86. She lived a full and wonderful life. She was a big part of my life growing up, always involved. It was such a hard thing to go through. She was the first close family member to me who passed away during my life. I love my mom so much and the hardest thing for me was to see my mom so sad and for her to lose her mother. I am grateful for having such a caring and loving grandma and she will always be with me.

I am currently in my last semester of college right now. I have learned so much these last couple of years, but there is one thing that will stick with me forever. One of my professors recently told me something that reminded me of what I went through last year. She told me that there are things in life that you can control and things you cannot. There are things in life that matter and things that do not. Only the things that matter to you and the things you can control are those in which everyone should strive to focus on. Life is too short to spend your time worrying about the things that do not matter and the things you cannot control. These very words have such a deep meaning and impact on me and I will strive to live my life this way and remember what I went through and what I learned last year. This I believe.