Bob - San Diego, California
Themes: change, hope, setbacks

I believe I can persevere. When times seem dark and you have to dig into the nooks and crannies to find any glimmer of hope. When nothing seems to be going right and each day looks bleaker than the one before. When you you find yourself thinking “is this all there is?” I believe there will, eventually, be better times.

I was in high school, coming up toward finals in my senior year. Everything was going grand. I was a happy teenager looking forward to moving onto the next chapter of his life. Nothing could go wrong. All of a sudden, something did, many things did. My parents had not been on good terms in the last few months and had decided to split up. My mother moved to a nearby town where I later found out that she had been having an affair. After they split, my father was an emotional wreck, asking me questions to which I didn’t know the answers. “Why did she leave me?” “What did I do?” I couldn’t answer so I only gave him a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen. Soon after, I got a call from him saying that there was something wrong with one of our dogs. We had two big dogs, they had become part of the family over the years and felt like siblings to me. I drove home in a hurry to find my dog, my sister, lying on her side and breathing shallowly. She had apparently had colic, her stomach turned over and she was slowly dieing. My father and I picked the large animal up and heaved her into the back of my car and drove her to the nearest vet, thirty minutes away. When we got her there we were told that nothing could be done, only that we could ease her suffering and put her down. We carried her into the back room of the animal hospital where she was given a shot of green liquid to her front paw and there, amid the meowing of cats and barking of dogs, she died in my arms. My father and I drove home, no dog in the back seat, only a collar.

We continued with our daily lives as best we could minus a mother and dog. Finals week came and went and I barely acknowledged it. It felt as if I were the butt of some terrible joke. Who had I angered for this to happen? As the year waned on many other events happened from our second dog passing away to my dad being diagnosed and cured of cancer.

Through all this I have learned that you may not always know what is around the next corner of life, and it most definitely will not always be good, but it will be different. And any time something is different there is a chance for things to change for the better. So now I look ahead for the next bend in the road, waiting for a change and hoping for the best.