Justin - San Deigo, California

Against All Odds

I believe that anything is possible as long as you put your mind to it. Nothing is impossible, there is an answer for everything. I found this out when I was in my senior year of high school. I was one of the leaders of my lacrosse team and at the end of my junior year the league disbanded. There were six of us that were returning to the team and wanted to finish our senior year on top. The coaches from the schools in our area decided to put together a league; however, it was the coaches that were putting together this league. Unfortunately, when we had played in our old league, we were on a team comprised of a bunch of different guys from different schools. This league wanted teams to be comprised of only kids from the same school. So, we (my six teammates) recruited fifteen young players to fill our roster, we raised over two thousand dollars through various fundraising ideas to pay for league fees and jerseys, and we formed a club at our high school so that the program would continue on after we left. The one thing we could not find was a coach. So we worked around it and the six returning seniors taught our fifteen new guys how to play the game of lacrosse in one semester.

Now I believe that anything is possible because a couple of high school kids formed their own team, in a league that was about to have its first season, with everything paid for, and all requirements satisfied. We played our senior year of lacrosse and ended up finishing fourth out of eight in the league. So I ask you, has there ever been a time when you felt as though all the odds were against you? Have you ever felt outnumbered or pressured into thinking you cannot achieve something? Don’t let these feelings take over because the feeling of accomplishment is great. When everything is going against you there is always a way to either work around that problem or straight solve it Life is tough, but if we being the human race, never worked for what we really wanted then we would never accomplish anything. The few of us that worked night and day to form the team made our senior season that much better. Knowing that we started a legacy that would continue on at our school after we were gone was quite an accomplishment as well. Just remember, anything is possible.