Two Miracles In One

Eric - San Diego, California

I believe in the joy a baby can bring to a family. Eight months ago my cousin gave birth to twin girls. Upon meeting them for the first time while they were still in the hospital I realized that the title “second cousin” didn’t quite fit our newfound bond. I decided, while staring at two human beings about the size of the shoes I was wearing, that I was to be their uncle.

A few months later the entire family was over to celebrate Mother’s Day. Of course all of our attention was on the new additions to our family. We all sat around the two cribs holding and investigating the little ones. It was silent but I am sure we were all thinking about the different things we were each going to teach and show these little girls, as they grow older. We all wanted a part in raising Madison and Makelya. These babies brought joy to a family that was already very close and very loving. I especially saw it when my grandpa, their great-grandpa, held them as he sat in his wheelchair. The look on his face is indescribable and I figure I will be able to put words to his expression the day I am able to hold my grandchildren’s children.

In June of this year my grandfather passed away. I remember during the funeral how Madison and Makelya would only begin to cry when someone began to speak. The pattern was recognizable to everyone and we all began to chuckle a bit. It seemed like they were trying to tell us that it is okay to laugh. It is okay to deal with death without being distraught. I believe that with death comes new life. These babies taught this to me.

A month later my other cousin, a police officer, was shot twice while on duty. Another event that rocked the foundation of the family, but yet another circumstance that these two little miracles helped us get through. This Thanksgiving the entire family was together trying not to show all of our sadness and remorse for the two that were not there. It was a very tense situation. Once again the twins were there to put joy into our lives. They did it with their sporadic giggles and wet kisses. They did it while they slept silently and peacefully. I believe that babies can teach adults a thing or two about life. I believe that a baby’s joy can help heal a family.