Steven - San Diego, California
Themes: hope

In a world so broken, I choose to hope that things can always get better. I am a kid who believes in hope for the future.

In the past twelve months I have lost several friends and several family members, and several more are plagued with incurable diseases. Life for the remaining however goes on. I hope to see lost faces again someday, and I hope that cures are found, but now I am forced to think about my own life in a different way and where I am headed.

When my aunt had cancer, she did not let it consume her; she fought and prayed and hoped for an answer. And what seemed to come like the grace of God was a clearance of illness from her body. Through the pain and the suffering and many doctor visits, she pulled through with marathon endurance, illuminating in the midst of it all.

In dreaming of my aunt’s miraculous recovery for some time, this news brought about new hope. If this great thing can happen, what else is still possible? Personally, since then I have tried to flip my mindset to encourage rather than be discouraged. I now volunteer working with high school kids trying to meet them where they are at in their lives, most of which are much more difficult than my own. This newfound hope has inspired me to spread the joy and comfort of prospect.

Hope is contagious and when someone gets that inner sparkle of possibility brewing in their gut, something truly beautiful happens. When one of those kids goes from caring about nothing and nobody but number one, and into the swing of helping others and having purpose in life, my heart goes wild. I can see the altered demeanor and how it affects those around themselves. That’s when lives are changed, and this domino affect pattern continues to spread to the next bunch who they will encounter.

If people didn’t have hope for the future, then how could humanity progress? It can’t; it wouldn’t be fit to. I need reminder of why I am here and what I am working towards. I have a bright future ahead of me and must constantly push forward towards the goals that I have set for myself.

This world is fragile, but we are strong. I have a life worth hoping for.