The Inevitable ‘Uprising’ of Women

Reny - Worcester, Massachusetts

I am a disciplined, obedient and dignified girl. I grew up in Hong Kong, a typical Chinese society. Due to Confucian influence, Chinese cultural beliefs dictate that men should always be placed at a higher status than women. This idea always irritates me. I cannot accept the fact that male superiority still exists in the twenty-first century. I believe that women are just as capable as men and sexual equality can be attained in the Chinese society one day.

Living in a Chinese community, I have witnessed many Chinese customs directed against women. All these experiences create a sense of grievance against the Chinese tradition in me. I am so determined to reverse the belief of male supremacy. Thus, I pushed myself to work hard and prove to others that women are by no means inferior to men and it turned out to be a success.

I studied in girl schools from ages six to eighteen. I am so proud and glad that I graduated from girl schools because it was my alma mater which instilled a sense of self-respect and women’s dignity in me. It makes me believe that boys and girls are in all aspects equal. My highschool aimed at forming us into knowledgeable and elegant women filled with dignity. Home Economics was not a mandatory subject. Therefore, turning girls into archetypal housewives was not the objective of my school.

My favorite subject is Economics. I always got strict A’s in it when I was in high school. My dream career is an economist or a successful business woman. I hope that being a senior officer, I can uphold sexual equality in the companies I work for. During the era of globalization, the business and economic sectors are of growing importance in the world. Thus, it is vital for women to work in these industries in order to have a larger influence on society and overthrow the era of sexual inequality. I did work hard to fulfill my dream. Among my male cousins, I was the one who did the best in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination. It was a shock to my relatives because they had not assumed that girls could do better than boys. It was a ‘victory’ for me because I proved to my relatives that girls can attain better results than boys.

Growing up in an environment surrounded by women constantly reminds me of the concept of female dignity and pride. I strongly believe that sexual inequality should not exist in the 21st century. As a result, I have promised myself to work hard so that I can play a part in overturning the ‘male superiority myth’. Also, I hope that women nowadays will voice their dissatisfaction for male superiority and fight for the sexual equality that they deserve. I still uphold the belief that sexual equality can be attained in the Chinese society if jointed efforts are paid by women to overturn male chauvinism.