Nicholas - Reading, Massachusetts
Themes: sports

I believe in pride. Pride is a feeling one experiences when they are part of something bigger then themselves. Since I was in elementary school I have always taken pride in sports. Sports have always occupied my free time as a child. Growing up nearly fifteen minutes outside of Boston, MA, it seemed only natural that I become consumed with the Boston sports lifestyle. I was obsessed with anything and everything Boston. With such a storied past, Boston sports have always been close to the hearts of its fans. No matter what background or age, everyone felt a sense of pride. Pride can take many different forms, and can effect people in all different ways. For me, pride is a tool I utilize to associate myself with different groups of people who share the same belief as me. I believe that pride, more specifically pride in sports, is one of the most effective ways to bring people of all ages together.

Now as I commence my freshman year of college, I have continued my love for Boston sports and the pride that comes with being a fan. From the Red Sox and Celtics jerseys hanging up on the window of my room, to the New England Patriots blanket hooked onto the wall, to the Bruins games constantly on my television—I take pride in my sports. The first Red Sox game I went to sold me on the Boston sports lifestyle. I was holding my thirteenth birthday at Fenway Park. When we arrived at the ballpark I was shocked by the amount of people that were there. We entered the gates and right way I knew that I had found something I was passionate about. The sounds, the smells, the sights all drew me in. The resounding chant, “Let’s Go Red Sox” echoed throughout the stadium. Fenway franks and Cokes in hand, we asked the usher where out seats were. As we followed his outstretched arm we walked up a set of stairs and found myself at home plate, where so many Boston sports legends had stood before. The view was amazing; the lights shown down onto the field where so many of my favorite players were warming up. As I stood there in awe I thought it was amazing to see the players I had up on my wall at home in real life. The game was a blur, and today I can barely remember any of it. But just to be there with all of my friends as if we were in our own backyards playing a pickup game was enough to make me a fan for life.

I believe pride has the ability to influence and unite the masses. Pride in sports has an advantageous effect on groups of people, joining people of all ages and backgrounds together to support one cause. When asked why I care so much about sports, I merely reply, “You wouldn’t understand.” For me, it’s so much more than a game.