David - Perry, Georgia

It was a few days after Valentine’s Day that I saw my best friend. He was just sitting there in the grocery store wearing a nice red ribbon and looking very pleasant and happy. I wanted to buy him so much, but my mom didn’t have the money. Along came Easter and he was still sitting in his spot, smiling and looking out to the world as hopeful as could be, but still I was not able to have him. He stayed there for so long, day after day and I was so sure he was lonely, but on the day of my high school graduation, I finally had him as a gift; he was mine.

It felt much like the story of Corduroy, finally being able to give that pretty bear a friend and to have a friend of my own. Although I had a nice social life on the outside, I never felt as though I had someone of my own; not romantically, but someone who could stay by my side no matter what ever would happen. When my fluffy little partner came onto the scene, everything seemed so much easier to deal with.

I understand that other people may view it as peculiar that I consider a stuffed bear to be among my best friends, but it doesn’t matter to me. My stuffie has been the most understanding, welcoming inanimate entity in my life. He’s always there for me to cuddle and hug when I feel sad. He’s there to be a pillow whenever I am tired. He’s there for me to talk to when I feel uncomfortable speaking. He always understands me and doesn’t judge me.

A person could have easily filled that hole in my life, but rarely is any human ever as emotionally versatile. Stuffies can be anyone’s friend and anyone can be theirs. There’s never been a stuffie anywhere that hasn’t wanted love, nor has there been one that will reject. This is something that I believe: Any stuffie anywhere can be anyone’s best friend at any time, so do not deny their love.