Matthew - Los Angeles, California

Anything that I have ever wanted in my life I have had to work for. Whether it was skateboarding or school, i have never given up. If I ever quit or gave up I would not have been able to learn the trick or figure out the problem. When I was younger and learning to skateboard with my friends, I would always want to be able to do the newest and best tricks. I spent hours learning how to do a single trick just so I could be the first one of my friends to have the newest trick down perfectly. Even though the hours spent learning skateboard tricks didn’t seem like work, it really was. It gave me great satisfaction to complete the task of getting the trick down perfectly, and this came directly from persistence and never giving up.

Now, in a more mature state of mind, I spend my energy trying to do well in school. I apply my never give up attitude in school. Instead of spending hours on end learning a skateboard trick, I spend multiple hours studying and completing assignments. My tasks at school now provide a mental challenge rather than a physical one.

Since I do want to be successful in school and life, I always keep my never give up attitude in mind, no matter how difficult the task at hand seems. If I ever feel negative and want to give up on an assignment, I tell myself that giving up is worse than failing. Giving up provides no personal satisfaction. I would have no accomplishments if I gave up and put no effort forward. I believe that never giving up is the key to life success. If I was able to get to where I am today by giving up, I could say that having perseverance and never giving up is useless and that I believe in giving up at everything that gives you a negative result.

Therefore, since everything that I have ever worked towards has lead me in the direction where I wanted my life to go, I can strongly say that I believe in never giving up. From skateboarding to school, I have never given up. Even though I am in my working phase in school, I live with the belief that never giving up directly relates to personal satisfaction and success, although I am yet to see the fruits of my school labor.