You People

Christian - Worcester, Massachusetts
Themes: freedom, race

I believe political correctness should be removed from society. Political correctness not only fails to accomplish its goal of increasing respect and tolerance for others, but it encourages an unfamiliar type of prejudice, an intolerance of free speech. I believe that the idea of political correctness is hypocritical and creates the illusion of respect and tolerance for the minority, but only succeeds in alienating the majority.

My brother has become a victim of this issue. In sixth grade my brother James was suspended from school for being racist. I’ve known my brother for fifteen years; he’s not racist. What he is, is a white male in a world of reversed prejudice; a prejudice against the majority.

While in class, James overheard a few girls talking. When listening more intently, he picked up his name mixed in with some Spanish. James is not bilingual, but he knows enough Spanish to pick up the inappropriate words. Upset, James turned to the girls and tried to address his issue. He said, “Would you people please stop talking about me in Spanish.” The girls were immediately flustered with anger.

“You people?” they retorted, “Why do you say that? Because we’re Spanish?”

“No, because you people are talking about me.” Before the words could escape his lips, the teacher in charge was on the scene.

When he arrived on the scene the girls quickly explained their side of the story. As soon as the issue of racism became his problem the teacher did what society had trained teachers and other workers dependant on acceptance of their values, he panicked. He grabbed James under the opinion by that accusing him of being a racist and thus prosecuting him, he protected the reputation of being someone intolerant of intolerance.

Soon after, James graduated with the label of racist on his record. He has since moved on, but the frustration that I felt then has not been resolved. I can not move on because the issue has not been resolved. Recently, Fox news had concerned itself with issues concerning “Black America.” Now I did not listen to the entire broadcast as the idea of Black America was upsetting enough. I believe in difference, but I believe grouping people is separating people. By identifying one’s self with groups one detaches themselves from everyone else. “To include is to exclude.”

I believe political correctness is an issue. I believe it’s prominent and won’t go away overnight. I believe that this whole idea of “protecting” people through words is stupid. I believe that it is my right to say whatever the hell comes to mind. I am not a very hateful person. I do not say very hateful things. Even still I am scrutinized and oppressed while the KKK was allowed to march through the main street of a large town. When the mayor of aforementioned town was interviewed on why he let this happen he simply responded, “It’s their right.” Well I believe freedom of speech is my right too.