“But I didn’t get to say goodbye”

Crystal - Toledo, Ohio
Themes: death, family, love

My grandma greeted us with a hug at the door as we entered her house. This was slightly unusual because my grandma is not exactly the hugging type, but I did not think anything of it because it was Mother’s Day. We had just gone out to eat and now we were visiting my grandma as we made our rounds to everyone we needed to visit that day. After we walked in the door, my grandma guided us into the living room and asked everyone to sit down in a circle. Now, I just knew something was wrong because this behavior was definitely out of the ordinary for my grandma. Then she spoke the words I will never forget: “Right before you arrived I received a phone call from Tiffany. Andy was killed today”.

My heart dropped on the floor. Was she serious? Is this really happening? These thoughts were running through my brain. I just could not believe all of this. It is just all happening way too fast; I could not truly comprehend the seriousness of the subject.

Then it just hit me; it Mother’s Day and my older brother would not be calling my mom today. He would not be calling my mom or anyone else ever again. I did not even get to say goodbye. He had been in Iraq for so long I had just kind of adjusted my life to him not being in it. But I always made plans for when he would come back.

I guess those plans are gone. One of my best friends is gone forever.

I believe that the people you care about most in life are taken from you much too soon. What a scary thought; the thought that our everyday lives can change so dramatically in an instant. We need to not take people for granted. You may hate doing something with someone but it may be your last opportunity to spend time with them. We need to take advantage of every opportunity we have to spend time with the people we love.